Each student must complete a minimum of 12 graduate credit hours within the program and will consist of the required Core Courses (8 to 9 credit hours) and selected Elective Courses (3 to 4 credit hours).
- A Muiltidisciplinary Overview of Food Safety and Security
- Microbiology of Food
- Principles of HACCP
- Foodborne Toxicants
- Principles of Food Defense for the Food Industry
- Advanced food Biotechnology
- Food Laws, Regulations, and the Regulatory Process
- Rapid Methods in Food Microbiology
- Microbiology of Fermented Foods
- Risk Assessment for Food, Ag, and Vet Medicine
- Trade and Agriculture Health
It is possible that a student may have already taken one or more of these courses or their equivalent on another graduate degree or certificate program. Upon approval by the major professor, up to 3 hours of credit could be accepted toward the 12 hour minimum required for this certificate.
Each student must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
Graduate Certificate Completion
All students enrolled in the Food Safety and Defense Graduate Certificate are required to submit the graduate certificate completion form (PDF). Please coordinate with your major professor (advisor) when it comes time to complete this form.